Autumn Term 2
We have been doing Physics: Light focusing on Key Stage 2, 3 and entering Key Stage 4 National Curriculum topics such as:
Key Stage: 2
• The similarities and differences between light waves and waves in matter.
• Recognise that they need light in order to see things and that dark is the absence of light.
• Notice that light is reflected from surfaces.
• Recognise that light from the sun can be dangerous and that there are ways to protect their eyes.
• Recognise that shadows are formed when the light from a light source is blocked by an opaque object.
• Find patterns in the way that the size of shadows change.
Key Stage: 3
• Use of ray model to explain imaging in mirrors, the pinhole camera, the refraction of light and action of convex lens in focusing (qualitative); the human eye.
• colours and the different frequencies of light, white light and prisms (qualitative only); differential colour effects in absorption and diffuse reflection.
• The transmission of light through materials: absorption, diffuse scattering and specular reflection at a surface
Key Stage: 4
• Uses in the radio, microwave, infra-red, visible, ultra-violet, X-ray and gamma-ray regions, hazardous effects on bodily tissues.
• Amplitude, wavelength, frequency, relating velocity to frequency and wavelength.
• transverse and longitudinal waves.
• Electromagnetic waves, velocity in vacuum; waves transferring energy; wavelengths and frequencies from radio to gamma-rays.
We have all very much enjoyed this subject so far …